Posts Tagged ‘Youth Empowerment’
One of my favorite things to do is to support groups that empower young women. It’s a double-bonus for me when the organization is related to music. Black Girls Rock! is a nonprofit youth empowerment mentoring organization founded by celebrity DJ, Beverly Bond.
On Saturday, October 17, 2009, Black Girls Rock! is hosting the 4th Annual Black Girls Rock! Awards to raise money for the organization and give much love and respect to women (and one man!) who serve as inspiration and role models to young women of color.
It’s going to be a fantastic event and I just hate that I can’t make the round trip to NYC myself this weekend. If you are in NYC, make your way by to see co-hosts Regina King and Tracee Ellis Ross honor the achievements of
- Mary J. Blige – “Icon” Award
- Raven-Symoné - “Young, Gifted, and Black” Award
- Naomi Campbell – “Fashionista” Award.
- Janelle Monáe – “Who’s Got Next” Award
- Dr. Sonia Sanchez – “Living Legend” Award
- Dr. Mehret Mandefro – “Community Service” Award
- Iyanla Vanzant – “Shot Caller” Award
- DJ Spinderella, “Jazzy Joyce DJ” Award
- Anthony Hamilton, “Soul Brother #1? Award
Ticket information can be found at http://www.blackgirlsrockinc.com/Awards09/.
You can’t make it? You can still help by donating funds to help the organization continue its programming. For more information on their programs, including the The Black Girls Rock!/ScratchDj Academy Program, see http://www.blackgirlsrock.org/. You can also check out their blog or follow Black Girls Rock! on Twitter.
[Thanks BlackGivesBack for the heads up on this great organization]